Monday, March 13, 2017

Hospital Bag Revisted

I originally posted about what I packed in my hospital bag here.  Now that I've gone through the whole experience, I wanted to share what I'd change.

For Labor (packed in a small tote bag)

  • Birth plan
  • Insurance card
  • Driver's license
  • Hair ties/bobby pins
  • Battery-powered massager
  • Sugar-free candies
  • Tube sock with tennis balls for back massaging
  • Essential oils
  • Sports bra for use in the hydro-tub
  • Phone with music
  • Bluetooth speaker
The hair ties came in handy for while I was in the hydro-tub and to move my hair out of the way while breastfeeding.  I had planned on using the essential oils in the hydro-tub, but couldn't since my water broke.  Instead, my husband did add them into a container of hot water, sock a washcloth in it and lay it on my head and back during labor.  I thought I'd want the sports bra to be comfortable in the tub, but by the time contractions started I had no interest in having any clothing on.  

We also used the phone for music and the Bluetooth speaker for most of our stay.  I liked having all of these immediate necessities packed in a small tote bag, so that was all that my husband had to carry in initially.  Everything else below was packed in a small suitcase that he grabbed much later after our little one arrived.  


For Mom
  • 2 pairs pj pants
  • 2 nursing tanks
  • nursing gown
  • Robe
  • Socks
  • Nursing bra
  • Nursing pads
  • Nipple cream
  • Shower flip flops
  • Shampoo/conditioner
  • Body wash
  • Deodorant
  • Lotion
  • Face wash/wipes
  • Chapstick
  • Makeup
  • Toothbrush/toothpaste
  • Going home outfit
As you can see, I didn't use most of what I had packed for myself.  From the time I was admitted to the hospital until my post-delivery shower, I lived in the gowns provided by the hospital.  They were easy to get on and off, convenient for breastfeeding and I didn't have to get any of my own clothing dirty.  Post-shower, I LOVED having my own nursing gown and robe to wear while we had guests.  Being completely honest though, when we didn't have visitors, I spent most of my time in just a pair of the mesh underwear the hospital provides because it made it easier to do skin-to-skin and to breastfeed.  

I didn't need any extras for nursing, the hospital had all of that.  I didn't even need nursing pads while I was there, but they still gave me some to take home.  

The thing I was happiest to have were my favorite toiletries!  That first shower after labor is AMAZING and having my favorite shampoo, conditioner, etc. made it even better!!

For Dad

  • PJs
  • Socks
  • Boxers
  • Hoodie
  • 2 t-shirts
  • Flip flops
  • Deodorant
  • Toothbrush/toothpaste
  • Shorts for the hydro-tub
  • Blanket/pillows
  • Going home outfit
My husband used everything that I packed for him, except for the shorts because I didn't have him join me in the tub.    The hospital had pillows and blankets that he could have used, but he was extremely happy to have his own.  
For Baby

  • Car seat with infant insert
  • Boppy for breastfeeding
  • Going home outfit
  • Nail clippers/nail file
  • Olive oil for baby's butt
  • Baby book if you want baby's footprints
  • Baby Blanket
  • Infant sleepers
  • Hat
  • Socks
  • Mittens
  • Swaddle me/sleep sacks
The hospital provided all of the baby's necessities, but there were a few extras that were nice to have.  Most of the time he was just in a diaper doing skin-to-skin with either me or my hubby.  When he wasn't, the hospital had little shirts for him to wear that folded over his hands (so no mittens needed) and was swaddled in the hospital's baby blankets.  

We weren't as great at swaddling him as the nurses, so it was nice to have some Swaddle Me's when we wanted to get him snuggled up quickly.  The baby blanket was nice to have to get him swaddled in something cute for pictures.

The other two things that I was very glad we brought were the nail clippers and the olive oil.  He needed his nails cut when he was a day old and the hospital won't do it and doesn't provide clippers.  If we hadn't brought out own, he would have been scratching himself a lot.  The olive oil was also helpful - we put a little on his butt before putting the diaper on.  This helped to prevent the initial tarry poops from sticking to his little baby butt.  
Technology

  • Tablet
  • Phones
  • Camera
  • Chargers
  • Nightlight
These all came in handy.  We kept the nightlight in the bathroom, which was very handy.  The nurses even commented on how they were going to add that to their list of things to bring.  

No comments:

Post a Comment