Thursday, May 25, 2017

Registry Help: Feeding Baby

This post is specifically about all of the odds and ends that you'll need for feeding your baby.  I've gone through the Babies R' Us registry checklist and given my input on everything they recommend.  I am exclusively breastfeeding (and pumping at work), so you these recommendations are specific to that.  

Check out my others registry help posts:

Feeding Baby
  • Your insurance should cover your breast pump.  I just called and got a list of what was covered and picked from those (there were only about 4 choices).  I got the Spectra S1 and it works well.  It's the same as the Spectra S2, except the S1 can run on a battery or be plugged in, whereas the Spectra S2 doesn't have a chargeable battery.
  • Lansinoh Lanolin is great to "lube up" the flanges so that your boobs don't get sore when you're pumping.  I have 2 of those small bottles and they seem like they'll last a while.
  • The Simple Wishes Hands-free Breastpump Bra is great for when you want to multi-task while pumping.  
  • I use Bamboobies Bamboo disposable nursing pads.  You will leak, it's inevitable.  I have tried other brands (that I got as freebies in goodie bags), but they aren't as soft as the Bamboobies.  In the beginning, your boobs will be sore, so it's nice to have these soft pads.  I am already on my second box of these (I use at least 2 pads per day, so a box only lasts a month).  
  • Breastmilk storage bags - I'm currently using NUK Seal N' Go bags and haven't had any issues yet, but they also aren't anything special.  I think any decent brand will do.  
  • Nursing covers - I have 2 Milk Snob Covers which seem great, but I haven't really used them.  I attempted to early on and decided it was honestly more of a pain to try to nurse with a cover and that I didn't care what people saw.  If you do plan to use a cover though, these are nice quality and can also be used to cover up the car seat to keep the baby warm.  
  • Nursing pillow - I have 2 Boppy Pillows and love them.  I started with one, but decided to get one for upstairs and one for downstairs because I use it EVERY time I feed him and was tired of having to go find it.  I have a protective slipcover for each boppy.  And then I also have 3 decorative slipcovers for the boppys (which go over the protective cover) - I have one for each and a spare if one gets dirty.  
  • I didn't bother buying any bottles at all because I was breastfeeding, so I knew I wouldn't need many.  I just collected an assortment of freebies from registry goodie bags.  We tried a few out with Jackson to see what worked best for us and we landed on the Philips Avent Natural bottle with a Size 1 nipple (this is lowest flow).  We have a set of 9 of these bottles now, which is plenty.  My lactation consultant told me for a breastfed baby there is no point to getting lager bottles or different sized nipples - her point was that our nipples don't grow as the baby grows, so there's no reason to change the bottle nipples - just stick with Size 1.
  • I didn't buy specific burp clothes, I used the receiving blankets for this.  
  • For pacifiers, I got Wubbanubs and love them (we have 4, so we can have them all over the house and in the diaper bag).  Jackson can hold onto the animal and it makes it harder to lose them.  I also got a few regular Philips Soothies pacifiers (they're the same as the ones attached to the Wubbanubs).  I got one 2 pack of the 0-3 months and one 2 pack on the 2 3 months+
  • For teethers, we just got Sophie the Giraffe.  I also think that the teething jewelry is cool, but haven't used it yet, so I can't tell you if it's worth it.  
  • We haven't picked out a high chair yet, because it takes up space and it's not necessary until he's a little older.  
  • For drying bottles, pump parts, pacifiers, etc. we have the Boon Lawn -it's adorable and works well.  If you don't have the space for it, you can get the Grass instead - it's a little smaller, but I wanted the Lawn to fit all of the pump parts.  I also have 2 Boon Twigs for the bottle nipples and pacifiers.
  • We use the Muchkin Dishwasher Baskets to safely wash all of the small pump parts in the dishwasher.  

No comments:

Post a Comment