Sunday, November 20, 2016

Registry: Breastfeeding and Pumping

Obviously breastfeeding is not for everyone and is a personal choice.  As I plan to breastfeed, I've included what I've learned below.

Breast Pump

I will be home for the first 6 months of my pregnancy and plan to almost exclusively breastfeed during that time.  However, I will have to pump once I return to work, so for me a breast pump is considered an essential.

If you plan on getting a breast pump, my advice is to start by calling your insurance company.  There were 6 pumps that my insurance covered completely. After you have your list of covered pumps, then start your research.  Reviews of many common pumps can be found here.  I ended up getting the Spectra S1 because it had excellent reviews and was covered by my insurance.


Breast Pump Bag

This is definitely an extra and some pumps may come with their own bag.  I have heard amazing things about the Sarah Wells Lizzy bag, so I am registered for that.  However, I don't think I will buy it for myself if I don't receive it as a gift. Keep in mind that not all bags fit all pumps, so make sure you do your research.  Another extra that I've registered for is this matching wet pouch to  store your used parts in until you can clean them.


Breast Milk Storage

If you are pumping, then you need somewhere to store it all.  You can read reviews of the top storage bags here.  I picked Nuk Seal n' Go Milk Storage Bags because they has the least reported leaks, were self-standing, and a reasonable price.  Along with storage bags, you'll want something to keep them organized.  I plan on just using a soda can box as shown here, but if you want something else, the First Years Breastflow Freezer Milk Organizer comes highly rated.


Boppy Pillow

The is a must in my book.  You'll want something to provide support while you're feeding the baby.  I've registered for the Original Boppy Nursing Pillow, the water-proof protective slipcover and two two covers (one to have on and one as a spare).  Some moms like to have two pillows - one for each floor of their house, so that's something to consider.


Breast Care

  • Lansinoh Lanolin Breast Cream:  use this to coat the flanges on your pump before pumping to provide some lubrication.  This protects your breasts and makes pumping more comfortable.
  • Earth Mama Angel Baby Nipple Balm:  apply on a daily basis to your breasts to keep them hydrated and soothed.
  • Lansinoh Soothies Gel Pads:  help to soothe and heal sore nipples.  They are supposed to provide instant relief and are recommended especially for when you are first starting to breastfeed.  
  • Philips Avent Thermal Gel Pads:  hot and cold packs for your boobs.  You can warm them to increase milk slow or cool them to provide relief from engorgement.  I registered for 2 sets, so that I can have one heating or cooling while I am using the other.  
  • Bamboobies Disposable Nursing Pads:  place these in your nursing bra or tank to catch any leaks and to prevent whatever cream you're using from staining your tops.



No comments:

Post a Comment